[openstandaarden] mp3 licentie

dominique devriese fritmebufstek at pandora.be
Wed Apr 3 23:00:49 CEST 2002

dit komt van "mp3licensing.com", in een faq:

I want to support mp3/mp3PRO in my products. Do I need a license?

Yes. As for practically any important technology (and particularly for
publicly established standards), you should know that patent rights for mp3
exist. Both Fraunhofer IIS-A and Thomson multimedia have done important work
to develop mp3 audio compression (before and after it became part of the
ISO/IEC MPEG standards). This work has resulted in many inventions and
several patents, covering the mp3 standard. Although others may also hold
patents, Fraunhofer IIS-A and Thomson multimedia have an important portfolio
of patents related to mp3.

 Patent licenses under the combined patent portfolio of Fraunhofer IIS-A and
Thomson multimedia are granted by Thomson multimedia exclusively.

 In case your business does not involve the manufacture of relevant products,
but importation or purchase of such products from a third party manufacturer,
you are advised to check whether the manufacturer is duly licensed by us, as
the trade in unlicensed products may expose your company to liability for
patent infringement. Accordingly, you are advised to obtain licensed products
only.

en dan vind je ergens op die site de prijzen:

mp3 Decoder
* US$ 0.75 per unit; or
 * US$ 50 000.00 - US$ 100 000.00 one-time paid-up

 Encoder / Codec
* US$ 2.50 - US$ 5.00 per unit

Ik weet niet of dat wil zeggen dat bladeenc en gogo illegaal zijn, maar ik
denk wel dat dit wil zeggen dat mp3 geen open standaard is.
Tenzij dat ik het verkeerd begrepen heb :)
domi