[openstandaarden] Brief over waarom software-patenten slecht zijn

Sven Putteneers svennieboy at linux.be
Sat Aug 30 17:19:22 CEST 2003

Ik ben het volgende net op slashdot tegengekomen:
akpoff writes " I've been struggling with the question 'what's wrong
with software patents' but haven't been able to find the right words. I
was over at John Gilmore's website and found a link to John Salin's
'Freedom of Speech in Software' letter to the USPTO back in 1991! This
is one of the best explanations I've seen. He reminds us that computer
programs are essentially like literature or music -- they are
expressions of ideas. Just because they run on a computer doesn't make
them uniquely different from other creative mediums. We should think
player piano (patentable) vs the music (copyrightable but not
patentable) it plays. Europeans -- put this letter into the hands of
your MEPs!"

De vermelde brief bevindt zich op http://philsalin.com/patents.html

Ik heb de brief zelf nog niet gelezen, ik ga er meteen is aan beginnen
(alles beter dan blokken, zeker als het over de negatieve kanten van
swpat gaat ;) ).

Misschien kan deze link ook aan softwarepatenten.tk worden toegevoegd?

Mvg,
Sven