[Openstandaarden] Agoria and OSS

Herman Bruyninckx Herman.Bruyninckx at mech.kuleuven.ac.be
Mon Dec 1 18:28:04 CET 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Henrion Benjamin wrote:

> Can someone go to tomorrow's presentation of Mr Patrick Slaets, Agoria?

I have heard his presentation before. It is a quite balanced
viewpoint, where Agoria is a big proponent of open standards in IT, and
neutral in the choice for or against open source software. Their point
of view seems to be that, as soon as standards are open, OSS will be
strong enough in many areas to become a real, economically viable
solution. But not everywhere, and certainly not mandated by
politicians.

> Agoria is mainly driven by BIG compagnies, and does not represent the
> interests of belgian SMEs.
True. But the most important IT companies in Agoria are IBM, HP, EDS,
DOlmen, etc. Not Microsoft (which has only about 150 people in Belgium,
apparently). So, these big ones (including EDS) are nog against OSS...
[...]
>  18:45 h    Round-up by prof. Deschoolmeester on the European Computer
>  Driving License (ECDL – www.ecdl.com) and the European Certification
>  of Informatics Professionals (EUCIP - www.eucip.org), two initiatives
>  from the Council of European Informatics Societies (CEPIS -
>  www.cepis.org).
These two initiatives are (potentially) _much_ more harmful to OSS than
Agoria, becasue they influence the IT education our children will get
in the future...

Herman
--
  K.U.Leuven, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics Research Group
<http://people.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/~bruyninc> Tel: +32 16 322480