[Openstandaarden] FYI: SVG and its Path into the Linux Desktop

Mattias Campe Mattias.Campe at UGent.be
Wed Mar 24 17:30:26 CET 2004

Hallo,

Op http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6460&page=1 staat een
interessant artikel die zich vooral toespitst op de evolutie en het
gebruik van SVG op de Gnome Desktop (maar heeft het bv. ook over Mozilla
die de SVG draad terug zou oppikken).

De ateur besluit met:
While originally designed with the web in mind, SVG seems to be have a
strong future on the desktop. Free software is taking the lead in
adopting and popularizing this open format and there are already
multiple implementations available with different strengths and uses.
The wider free software community should seize this chance to help us
reach our goals. The basic parts are there, but much work is still
needed to produce stable, mature SVG libraries and editors. This
includes more work on projects such as Sodipodi or Inkscape. Or tools
for creating the CSS using metathemes or more animation oriented tools
for making SVG animations.
Intersted artists should also be aware of the newly started freedesktop
clipart project. The project is at the following freedesktop mailing
list for the time being, but our hope is to turn it into a shared
package of public domain SVG clipart for use in various applications
like GNOME Office, KDE Office or Open Office.

Mvg,
Mattias