[openstandaarden] Brussels demonstration announce: do nothesitate to forward

David GLAUDE dglaudemailing at gmx.net
Thu Aug 21 15:43:30 CEST 2003

Tijl Vercaemer wrote:

> Da's juist, maar OpenStandaarden is dus tegen patenten op standaarden.  Dat is
> een soort software patent, maar software patenten gaan over veel meer dan
> dat.  Dat iemand bijvoorbeeld een patent heeft op tabs in menu's is eigenlijk
> geen zaak voor OpenStandaarden.

Well I do believe User Interface do require some standardisation too.
And those standard need to be "open". Standard is not only about file
format, protocol and such...

Back to User interface.

A user expect the File menu to contain such and such...
The user expect the first letter to be underline and ALT+Letter to be a
shortcurt. Human do want standardisation and get use to an interface, so
in order to be acceptable a program must "look" familiar.

In the use, there was a copyright issue about menu system. Actually many
"Look & Feel" legal attack took place in the US (I don't know about europe).
Program A was using the same "have the two first letter underline" that
program B was using. And guess what... A did win in court.

So User Interface might be attack by Copyright understand by a stupid
judge and also by ill Software Patent.

> Het zou volgens mij verwarrend zijn als onze
> eerste persmededeling over patenten gaat, in plaats van over open
> standaarden. Als we nu al een min of meer gekende organisatie zouden zijn
> zouden we ons dat kunnen permiteren, maar ik denk dat we dat nu best nog niet
> doen...
> (al kunnen we onze eerste persmededeling natuurlijk ook niet eeuwig
> uitstellen)
>
> Tijl

David GLAUDE

PS: EUCD could also be used (secure API) to make interoperability
impossible... so you should be against it too.

--
Not only I am back from vacation with zillions of mail to read...
But my mailbox was full and some mail may have been rejected in the