[openstandaarden] AEL and Fgov websites

Sven Vermeulen sven.vermeulen at rug.ac.be
Wed Feb 26 09:16:32 CET 2003

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 05:49:06PM +0100, Henrion Benjamin wrote:
> (I speak here in english because my dutch needs to be improved)

Don't worry, I speak here in English because my french needs to be improved
:)

> I'm member of AEL (www.ael.be) and I'm working on the accessibility of
> websites, and I want to make a Press release in direction of the
> *.fgov.be websites. The situation is quite catastrophic in terms of
> usability and open formats for those websites (somyou need nearly the
> whole office suite of MS to have access to the information).
[...]
> http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/FgovAccessibility

I can't speak for the OpenStandaarden.be group but personally I welcome your
initiative and I am convinced that OpenStandaarden.be does too, and
that it will actively participate in your quest.

I don't know if you have read our document about websites (it is located at
http://www.openstandaarden.be/teksten/websites) and it roughly contains the
following:

A website must conform to the following demands:
	- W3C conformity: all pages should validate correct HTML
	- All information and services should be in open standards: no
	  propriatary documents (such as .doc) nor service using
	  non-standarised code (such as ActiveX).
	- Accessability using open standards: navigation should be in open
	  standards, so for instance no Flash for navigation.

I think these rules are close to what AEL wants.

What are your plans concerning the press-release? Do you have a draft? I
think there are people that will be more than happy to translate it into
Dutch so that a parallel press-release in Dutch papers can be held.

Wkr,
	Sven Vermeulen

--
	Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.